Coffee Crew

Coffee Crew
Nick Bate's Web Comic the Coffee Crew

Thursday, July 21, 2011

PART THREE: JOIN US REVIEW

Normally whenever there's a new TMBG album I discuss every track in-depth with A Specific Person, but now that they hate me I have no one to do this with anymore, which sucks. With Here Comes Science it wasn't as big a deal since it was a children's album, but this time it really hurts because it's the first adult album we can't discuss. I mean yeah we can totally do it once we become friends again, but by then they'll have already gotten all of it out of their system with their other friends. So yeah. :/ But I guess I'll do a little bit here of reviewing here, on LJ. In this entry. Right now. Okay, so, Join Us.

My favourite tracks are "Can't Keep Johnny Down", "You Probably Get That a Lot", "Old Pine Box", "Canajoharie", "Cloisonné", "Let Your Hair Hang Down", "The Lady and the Tiger", "2082", and "Three Might Be Duende".

The best part of "Can't Keep Johnny Down", IMO, is the fact that "dick" is used as an adjective. That line makes me laugh every time. Plus it's just a really good song.
I was reading the liners on the ride home from the record store, and upon reading the lyrics to "You Probably Get That a Lot", I had to ask my drivers what in the blazes a "cephalophore" is. Upon looking it up on her phone, Wendy told me it's apparently a Greek mythology thing (typical TMBG, right?). A cephalophore is apparently someone that can live without a head. This amused the crap out of me because Adult Swim just started airing a new anime aboot a cephalaphore. Except she's a dulahan. But it sounds like p much the same thing. But anyway, the song has a p catchy hook. While I'm terrible at distinguishing genres apart, it seems to be a pop song similar to "Ana Ng". Idk, I could be wrong, so don't quote me on that.

"Old Pine Box" is pretty good too. I don't really know what else to say aboot it. I just like it, okay?
The video of "Canajoharie" played live already had me hooked on the song, and to my shock the finished version was even better! Like "Can't Keep Johnny Down", it's a really infectious rock song. I especially enjoy the bridge, which A) has a bassline that refuses to get out of my head, and B) seems to have backwards accordion.

"Cloisonné" stands out from the previous four tracks in that rather than being pop/rock, it's more old-school TMBG that I can't really figure out how to label with a genre. Reminds me of "Stalk of Wheat" or something though, idk. I'm always a sucker for brass sections, and this song indeed has one.

"Let Your Hair Hang Down" is another 60's/70's/80's-style pop song similar to "Twisting" or "Bangs". And by that I don't mean the lyrics. But now that I think of it, yes, the lyrics are similar to "Bangs" too. I mean, they're both aboot hair. That should be kinda obvious.

"Celebration" mentions Anonymous. I wonder how they're going to react to that? Also it's like their most mainstream-sounding song ever.

I can guarantee you that Certain People I Could Name are going to post that "When Will You Die" makes them think of me. While that depresses me, I'm not letting it ruin the song for me. Not one of my favourites from the album, but still a solid song.

To exact Prevenge for "When Will You Die", I am reminded of That Person by "Never Knew Love". Because they p clearly have never known love. But um, let's not get into that again. I wasn't all that thrilled with this particular song; it doesn't really stand out. It's not bad though.
"The Lady and the Tiger" is TMBG attempting and succeeding at rap. When the tracklisting was first revealed I was crossing my fingers and hoping that this track was a re-titling of "No Answer". Sadly, it was not. But it's still a great song in its own right.

"2082" and "Three Might Be Duende" are both p much more old-school TMBG. The latter is probably my favourite track from Join Us. Also of note is that a duende is basically a specific type of goblin in Mexican mythology. I was not aware Mexico had mythology before. Well, except for El Chupacabra. Turns out they do. I wonder if it's really a march like the lyrics claim?

As a whole, Join Us seems to be mostly straghtforward alt-rock. It also seems to have a lot of added studio effects, much like Flood and Mink Car. Also Join Us seems to have a lot of "Beatles stereo" like they did with "(She Thinks She's) Edith Head" and "Robot PArade (Adult Version)". While I'd prefer they stick to simple, raw sounds, they're still TMBG and they can do whatever and it'll still be amazing. I'm also glad to witness the return of the accordion after their last adult album, The Else, lacked it completely. Keep up the good work, They!

PS - This may just be my CD (I hope not considering it's brand new), but I keep hearing a lot of clicks/pops. I actually investigated one of them. At like 1:16 in "You Probably Get That a Lot" there's one, so I tried ripping it again. And it was still there. So I dunno. I also think I heard some on "Canajoharie" and "Three Might Be Duende". Maybe more. Idk, hopefully it's in the actual songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment